Hey everybody,
Today's Sunday, and did we ever have an adventure-filled day!
For church this morning we headed into the barrio. Before church started, a few of us played volleyball with some local kids/teens. Service began with a couple Spanish worship songs, which included a beautiful Spanish rendition of "I Can Only Imagine". My favorite part of the service was the down-to-earth message that the Pastor John Cox shared with us and the translation from English to Spanish, so beautiful- thanks to Beth (Julio's wife) :)

From church we came back to camp for a quick lunch and then headed on our great adventure! Julio drove us on a crazy ride through the mountains, around crazy twists and turns, thankfully no one got car sick in our big van. We busted out to some good ol' Back Street Boys (Ryan even "rocked his body, right!")We arrived and hiked to a magnificent hidden cave. We all ventured through the cave with our flashlights like little explorers, or "spelunkers" as we like to call ourselves :) During this adventure we had a furry little companion that followed us on our journey. We called him cave dog (cueva perro) - he was a brave and loyal friend. The second cave we ventured through opened up to a window view at the edge of a cliff that was just speechless. We spent time taking pictures, admiring God's creation and realizing just how small we are and just how BIG He really is!!

Our next adventure took us to yet another cliff, only this time we were jumping off of it! The rain forest welcomed us with rushing waters and a daring double- 2 ledges, one 20 feet and the other 35. Some were hesitant, some jumped right off, but everyone received cheers of encouragement once they dared to step off the ledge and plunge like a pencil deep into the waters. This was an unbelievable experience that took a lot of courage and resulted in major adrenaline rushes.

From "The Jump" we traveled to an authentic Puerto Rican restaurant, called the StarLight, where we met Jim and Beth (from camp). We enjoyed a wide variety of new foods such as octopus and conch. Some of us got tricked into ordering a drink called "Malta" - this was not a favorite to say the least.
Tasting Octopus & Conch Overall today was fantastic! At the end of each day we gather for Devos and a debriefing time where everyone shares their high point and low point for the day. For today, we all agreed that everything about today was a "high". Between experiencing God's beauty, being adventurous, and feeling like we're on an episode of Fear Factor, today was a great day to be in the land of Puerto Rico!
Tomorrow starts our week of work- can't wait! Two other teams arrived today, one of which will be helping us here at camp.
This place is beautiful and we are so blessed to be here!
Thanks for your continued prayers.
We miss you all.
love in Christ,
kaylie :)
--ps. We love comments from those of you back home, so keep 'em up!!
--pps. Missing you mom, dad, mags, susa, & brandon of course :)
Hurray for cueva perro! Nothing like a good ol' cave dog to brighten your day. Best of luck to you all as you begin a new week of work.
ReplyDeleteWow! What great pictures and adventures! Thank you for the updates. It's the highlight of my day back here in cold, wet, dreary Michigan. I love Aaron's body language in the "jump" picture! We continue to pray every day for you guys.
ReplyDeleteTheresa Bonk (Aaron's Mama)
What beautiful adventures you all are having...and I continue to take comfort in the fact that you all are safe and sound, wrapped in the warmth and safety of His arms. My favorite song is I Can Only Imagine....that is precisely how I feel for you all! Miss you lots, Heather!
ReplyDeleteDear Kaylie and PR team!
ReplyDeleteI can totally hear the thrill in your post! God is amazing, His creation is priceless, what awe and wonder! I am so thankful to Him for giving you this blessing! I am so happy for you all, I know the joy, the bonding, the way the Spirit works on these trips! Enjoy every moment and savor everything you are learning about God, yourself and your love in the body!
I hope you continue to take hold of every new native "treat", adventure and WORK like no other as to unto our LORD! Love the children, especially the ONE that seems to draw to you!
We are praying all the time and thinking/talking of you often!
Love from home,
LLAMA
p.s. I'm a bit jealous of course but more happy for you!
Your blog starts our day out perfectly! We pray for you every morning - for God's protection, team unity, and that God would be glorified through all of you! We are trying to imagine the sunshine here in Michigan today having the warmth of the sunshine in PR. When we head outside, our hopes are dashed!
ReplyDeleteGreg and Chris Shaw (Carrie's parents)
It looks as though you all are having the TIME OF YOUR LIFE! God is so AWESOME and His presence is so fulfilling, you can see it on your faces in the pictures.
ReplyDeleteI love you Ryan and I miss you.
I'm praying for the entire SAU team the teams that are coming.
Love ya
D Gilmore
Sarah...I'm sitting here sobbing because I'm so incredibly happy for you. You wanted so badly to see things and go places and now you're there! You're seeing the beauty of the world, beyond Michigan and Wisconsin , of course. I remember how overwhelmed I felt looking out over the mountains in California. On top of that, the mission that got you there is icing on the cake. We are so blessed. We love you and miss you!XXOO
ReplyDeletemom
Heather: I feel your pain with the octopus and conch!
ReplyDelete