After a breakfast of pancakes, a few of us ladies; Kaylie, Chelsea, Alyssa, and I were asked to help Jon Marshall, the camp director, with a school group. A group of about 60 kids arrived at camp and basically had a field day. The students were divided into teams and each of us girls was a team leader. I was the proud leader of Team Amarillo (Team Yellow)! All teams got to run relays, play tug-o-war, and scream at the top of their lungs. After a few scraped knees, the victory belonged to Team Green. Proudly, Team Amarillo came in third place! It was awesome to be surrounded by screaming bilingual (thank goodness) children who all loved the Lord and were just so excited to hang with us kids from the states.
After the kids had lunch, we were able to take the kids on the water slide. Their faces lit up as they climbed to the top and got to slide down into a puddle of water. Chelsea was stationed at the top and she had the liberty of sliding down with a little girl who was far too fearful of sliding herself. If kids were not sliding, they were either play Ga-Ga Ball or hanging at the beach. So many smiles filled CDC this afternoon and it was awesome! The kids left around one and it was time to kick work into gear. One of the many jobs I had this afternoon was garbage duty, let me tell you…this isn’t an ol’ garbage duty. Carrie, Alyssa, Sarah, and I were told by Dave that a few black garbage bags were thrown onto camp grounds and we had to go retrieve them. Well, we hiked out there and found about 6 black trash bags nestled in the woods. Now, Dave, the camp maintenance director told us we had to check in the bags to make sure there was nothing “illegal”. Well, that is what we did and the first few bags were filled with yard debris. However, when we opened the second fire ant infested bag, a mouse jumped up at us. Carrie and I screamed to the high heavens. After that, Alyssa was highly hesitant in helping us.
The rest of the day was filled with odd jobs such as: unloading tile, cleaning the beach, washing cars, and organizing pipes. After the work day ended around 4:30 pm, frappes were greatly needed and I enjoyed myself a Pina Parcha frappe ( pineapple/passionfruit) Many others got quite excited over strawberry cheesecake frappes! Nighttime fell and dinner time passed, it was time to attend youth group at John and Kerry Cox’s church in the barrio. Friday night youth group is geared towards high school students, and that age group is awesome to be around. I was blessed to have the opportunity to speak to the students, our mission team, and a few other teams. I was able to share my testimony with the people and give a message on the essence of beauty as a woman. It brought so much joy to my heart to tell these young women how vital it is to fall in love with Jesus, and let him romance you. So desperately, the young girls of Puerto Rico need to be told that there are valued, loved, and so beautiful. Culture tends to tell them differently. God has a way of putting the right words into your mouth when you need it the most. That was the last night at the church for this trip, but I may return again. But, this trip has given me so many blessings. My heart has truly changed in ways where I was struggling. God is so good, even in the little things! Hope all is well at home, and we will see you soon!
May God bless your last few days together in PR. What wonderful experiences to take back with you to glorify Him! Have a great trip home.
ReplyDeleteMuch love and many hugs,
Mom Bonk
we have loved reading and seeing pictures of your trip......anxiously awaiting your arrival home to hear more about it! Enjoy your last day, sending prayers your way for safe travels home!!
ReplyDeleteLove to all (moon and back Chelsea!)
I'm excited for you all and the wonderful experience you have shared this week. I'm anxious to see and hear more when you all return home.
ReplyDeleteMiss you Ryan! Now,don't forget to pack ALL your things.
Love Mom LOL
We loved the video! Thanks for sharing your week with us through both the video and this blog. May this be a life changer for all of you to God's glory!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Joni and Terry, Anna's mom and dad