(By: Sarah F)
Today was another great day, filled with tough, sweaty work and tons of fun, as always. We finally finished the cement wall and Landon was a little heartbroken and like a lost puppy looking for a new project. When I went to get water, Landon, Gracie and Becca were cleaning up which magically turned into a cement fight. Glad I missed that battle! But I sure didn’t miss the water fight that ensued right afterwards. Luckily I had the hose and I thought I was safe until Keegan dumped a bucket of water on me.
We all did a variety of projects for the rest of the day. While in between assignments, Stephanie, Gracie, Becca and I decided to try out the camp’s obstacle course, whose looks are very deceiving. It seems easy but we can all promise you it isn’t, especially Becca. She looked like a blind monkey on those ropes but it was our fault (actually Gracie and Steph’s) for giving her bad directions. After completing a few random projects, we all had Mac ‘n Cheese and ribs for lunch (family you know what I ate)! Oh and if it somehow hasn’t been said already, there is a hot sauce epidemic on this trip. Ty has converted many people and they now put hot sauce on basically everything. Today my group was on duty for dishwashing and it was the funniest one yet! There was a fly attacking Keegan and I mistakenly told him my secret superpower...fly whisperer. For those who aren’t familiar, my powers include the ability to get a fly out of the house by calling to it like a dog! It’s come in handy many a times, you’d be surprised. Sunny, the camp’s blind Golden Retriever, shares my talent and caught one midair today! Then we were discussing pop preferences and Becca said, “You know, I can’t really tell the difference between 7up and Coke”....umm we’ll blame that on too many days in the sun.
At some point (I think before lunch) there was a mini dance party from Stephanie, Karen, Gracie, Bre and Mary courtesy of Maroon 5 and their song Sugar. We don’t hear music very much (basically never) so whenever we do it’s a big deal. Which is why we always sing in the car. Emily and I definitely started that. Mom you would be proud. So after lunch we started taking the wood forms off of the wall we had been working on all week. This was the first time Ty experienced such work and Gracie and Stephanie were able to help him and he did an awesome job! We spent all afternoon taking off the wood boards and 2 by 4’s. But then the real work began...carrying them a very long way to their piles. Of course Stephanie and I used our heads and stacked the wood on a rolling wagon. Everyone was jealous of how smart we were and mad for not thinking of it first.
After a full day of work we were rewarded with frappes!! Today I got a chocolate, peanut butter and cheesecake one....yum. Oh how I will miss them. When we got back, everyone went down the camp’s 3-story water slide and Sarah B captured some awesome action shots. We ate dinner in a new room, which was extensively worked on by both this year and last year’s groups so it was really cool to be able to utilize it and see what we accomplished as a team. It also made me think of all of the people throughout the years who have made the camp what it is today. A massive baked potato was our side for dinner tonight and many people struggled to eat them, especially Sarah B. She was whole-heartedly trying to get others to eat her food. It ended in another water fight, this time between Sarah and Landon.
We ended the night by going to youth group. We sang in Spanish and I loved every minute of it. During Harry’s message, there were some distractions coming from Landon (always causing trouble). Then we played Extreme Rock Paper Scissors with the teens and enjoyed lots of laughs with them. I can’t believe this is our last night in Puerto Rico! I’m excited to go home but I will also miss this place and these people so much.
Oh! To my family and friends...I love you all so much and thank you for all the love and support you have given me in everything I do. Can’t wait to tell you all about this great adventure I’ve had! See you soon. Love Sarah!

Awesome baby! Thanks for all the details. It really helped to picture what happened.
ReplyDelete