Hello everyone! Camille here. Day
three is wrapping up as we relish a moment to shower away the grime of a long
day’s work. This morning was another beautiful one; Jenna apparently woke us up
at 7 AM but somehow I slept until 7:40 (I say “somehow” like it’s not typical
for me to oversleep) and woke up to Deja, standing on her tippy-toes, tapping
ever-so-sweetly on my shoulder, alarming me that we had 5 minutes until our
devotional meeting. Blurry eyed, I hobbled down the wooden ladder of my bunk bed
before we made our way outside, walking along the concrete sidewalk to the
rhythmic sounds of drizzling rain and bird-chatter.
After our devotional/agenda layout,
we enjoyed a hearty breakfast of French toast, ham, juice, and of course,
coffee. Then it was time to work! Today’s project was mainly one of demolition:
the beginning stages of renovating dormitory A. We joined with the Grace Bible
College group in first hauling twin mattresses out of the dorm rooms and
stacking them into a different building. After that, we proceeded to take apart
iron bunk bed frames. This is when the sweat kicked in. With probably only a
total of eight right-sized wrenches, we labored side by side to take apart the rusty
pieces and salvage the screws. Apparently someone counted; there were 96 beds
altogether. Since the actual demolition of the window panes and electrical
wiring couldn’t start until the beds were down, the pressure was on.
We worked until about noon, when
lunch was served. An always delicious serving of tacos fueled us for the second
“shift.” The pouring rain was a blessing as the air got cooler and we headed back
to work. The missionary’s nine year old son, Logan, even taught me a few
tae-kwon-doe “lessons” in the rain (very Karate-kid like, only I’m much less
impressive and much more uncoordinated). Our second shift, while we worked hard, was
especially full of laughter and singing. If you saw the video of us harmonizing
the doxology, I promise it sounded WAY better the first try (and in person, the
acoustics in that room are TOP NOTCH). Sarah started us off and everyone joined
in, totally improvised. Moments like that, no matter how much we want to
capture them, are truly moments that “you had to be there”-and that’s exactly
why they’re so special.
We kept cranking away until about 3,
when we were delighted to get another break and go to a nearby “Frappe” stand
for smoothies. From pina colada to strawberry passion fruit to peanut-butter-nutella,
everyone loved their refreshing drink. I got a coconut mango one; it even had
real chunks of raw coconut on top- it was BOMB (parents, that’s “teen-talk” for
really good). Returning in the van, we asked Emily some questions about the
history of Camp Caribe and its people and learned just how far this ministry
has come.
We continued working until 6:30
when we enjoyed a brief moment to search the beach for sea glass before dinner
at 7. Our meal consisted of pork chops and rice and beans- which were a hit. After
dinner, we met again for another devotion and recap. Which brings us to now, 9 PM,
while I’m perched on my top bunk, sampling coconut candy (thanks Leah) and
Lifesavers gummies (thanks Anni). Half of our girls are currently dying small
strips of their hair red with box-dye that they purchased on the last Wamart
run. So we’ll update you on how that turns out.
Today has been long and physically
taxing, but it has also been encouraging, enlightening, and inspiring. We are
so blessed by all of this, and are continuing to grow in our friendships with
each other and in our understanding of God’s love. Thank you all so much for
your prayers. Can’t wait to see what the rest of the week holds! I never Juana
leave ;)
Hasta Manana,
I bet the coconut tastes way better there than here!! Camille, it made me laugh right out loud when you said "somehow I slept in". Haha! God bless you all! I'm still praying!!
ReplyDeletePsalm 90:17
May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us;
establish the work of our hands for us—
yes, establish the work of our hands.
I've been reading the blog every day and you all have been in my prayers. I do have one request: Could we see some pictures of Jenna doing manual labor? Can't wait to hear about it when you return, Jenna! LOVE!
ReplyDeleteWow! Your girls are working hard! I'm excited to hear what the plans are for Dorm A. That was typically the dorm the SAU students have stayed in over the years. (one time I got "attacked" by crazy red ants, in my bed, in Dorm A...perhaps an upgrade is needed) :)
ReplyDeleteJust remember, the Lord is with you through it all, through every step. Every mattress you lift over your head, every wrench you turn, every person you interact with, there He is.
Blessings PR team!
P.S. Someone PLEASE try the Coco Para Frappe! You won't regret it:)
So exciting to catch up on the blogs & read about your activities. Praying for God's continued protection & reminders of His love & care for you & your team. Such a privilege to have this experience. Love you bunches.
ReplyDelete