Greetings from La Isla del Encanto,
This is Laura with your Day 6 update! Sorry this blog is
coming to you so late. I’ll explain why later. I promise we are all still alive
and well, so no need to worry parents! Today started at 7am with Deja in her typical
cheery morning mood, and me in my typical not so cheery morning mood. Jenna,
Annika, and Leah started off their morning with a run. I thought about going with
them for just a split second, but envisioned myself running along when an
iguana jumps out in front of me, I trip over it and then die, so I decided to
stay safe and remain in my bed.
Yesterday
was a wonderful day of relaxing and recharging, so today, it was back to work. We
continued our renovations on Dorm A after devotions from John Marshall and a
filling breakfast of pancakes and bacon. This work included the continuation of
yesterday’s electrical work, spackling, and pouring concrete. It was long and
exhausting and we still have a long way to go, but it is so wonderful to see
some progress. We completed three rooms were of electrical wiring and all of
the spackling. Of course, we worked like champs and continued to sing our way
through the day. Let me tell you, this group of ladies is bomb at harmonizing. For
lunch we enjoyed hotdogs and nachos.
After a nice lunch break, we
continued our work. Kaley and I were given, what I would say, was the most
challenging task of the trip thus far. It wasn’t difficult physically, but
emotionally. The Marshalls, the missionary family living at the camp have a dog
named Sunny. She is very old, blind, and in a ton of pain. The Marshalls are in
the process of moving to Oregon, and they knew Sunny would not be able to make the
move, so they decided to put Sunny down today. Kaley and I were given the task
of digging Sunny’s grave. I have never been much of an animal person and it didn’t
really bother me when they talked about putting Sunny down, but when I
literally had to dig a grave, it strikes a whole new chord. But doing this task
reminded me of how truly precious life really is, whether it
is a human or an animal, big or small, all life is a gift from God and is
valuable, precious, and loved.
After we finished work today at
5:15pm, we headed to El Frappe once again to enjoy some authentic frappes.
Today I tried blueberry and banana, which I would have to say is my favorite
thus far. We came back to Camp Caribe and enjoyed one of my favorite authentic
Puerto Rican meals, arroz con gandules (rice with pigeon peas), along with ribs
and corn. On our way out of the dining hall we spotted the most incredible and
bright rainbow, so naturally we took pictures of it and posed under it, and ran
around in the rain.
We then enjoyed some free time to
walk on the beach, take showers, and nap. After, we attended a testimony night
along with Grace Bible College. Four members of their team shared their
testimonies along with Deja and Jenna from our team. We then had our regular
evening team meeting. This time started out like any other with our challenges,
out of comforts zones, and someone we appreciated. It then turned into a beautiful
time of sharing what was on our hearts and minds. There were no dry eyes in
that chapel as we came before God, a group of ladies, struggling and broken in
need of the grace and mercy of God. This time lasted until almost one in the
morning! Oops! So after we were done, we went to bed and decided to save the
blogging for later.
I am so extremely blessed by these
ten ladies and how we are so open and vulnerable with one another. I came on
this trip really only knowing Abby and Abbie, and somewhat Emily, but I feel as
if I am walking away with an incredible solid friendship with every single one
of these ladies, some of whom, if not for this trip, I would never even know
went to my school. For us, this group of girls was completely random, but God
knew exactly what He was doing when He brought us together and for that, I am
extremely thankful.
With love and Christ’s blessings,
Laura
| Frappe Stand! |
| Our blogger Larua |
| We are pros at putting up the electrical tubing! |
| Add caption |
Wow! You ladies are doing amazing work. If you want to keep up your electrical and painting skills after the trip, we have some of those projects at our house that you could do. How about a trip to the Riddle house in IL? I could even fix you some genuine Puerto Rican food. Thanks for the wonderful blog posts. We are blessed by hearing what God is doing in your midst. He is awesome and He is using you in ways that you may never even know about this side of heaven. Continued prayers and blessings as you work and play. We love you Laura and we are so proud of you and the rest of the ladies on the team.
ReplyDeleteOh girls. Precious Sunny. That breaks my heart for you all and to experience that with the Marshall's. I'm glad you got to meet her & bless them by them not needing to dig the hole.
ReplyDeleteWay to work hard, learn new tricks of the trade, serve each other, serve Jesus, & eat Frappes!