Thursday, March 10, 2016

Let's go to the beach!!!

Hola friends and family from acorssed the pound! It is Abbie Romano here to give you the low down on Day 5. What a day? What a life? Today held so much joy, laughter, and precious tender moments I am not quite sure the few paragraphs I have in this blog can cut it, but I will try my best. Today was our day off to explore the beautiful Puerto Rico, and to be honest it was much needed after our first few days of hard work. We woke up this morning at 6:45, to Jenna’s sweet morning voice saying, “It’s time to get up ladies”, but none of us were complaining because this early morning meant a trip to the beach! We quickly threw on our suits, and skipped to breakfast in anticipation for the day ahead. We packed sandwiches to-go, and loaded the car up with gear for the beach. Vamos a la Playa!
Before the beach we were told we would be going to the Indian caves where movies like The Goonies, Pirates of the Caribbean, and 007 were filmed. I am pretty sure in that moment all of our jaws dropped and we proceeded to screamed like middle school, but what am I kidding this isn’t anything new for our group. The car ride to the caves was an event all in its own; I swear it is never a dull moment with these ladies. We chatted about life, played road trip games (that I am pretty sure were made to entertain 10 years olds), and of course sang songs, because the day wouldn’t be complete if at least 10 songs weren’t sung by 11 am.
When we finally arrived to the Indian caves, and I was in complete awe by the beauty of God’s creation. I had high expectations for this visit, but my eyes could not quite believe the sight I saw before me. Volcanic rock lined a bit of Puerto Rico’s coast to formed pecks and cliffs that took your breath away. We were able to climbed these cliffs and explore some of the tunnels they held. At one point we all sat towards the edge and watched as the waves dance among the rocks. We watched as the powerful, majestic waves rolled in, and with great might, break against the rock wall where we sat. The waves would spray us with a sweet salty mist that tightened our skin as it dried. In this moment my heart fluttered with God’s presence, and all I could think was “we serve a good God”.
After the caves we loaded back into our trusty old van, and headed in purist for the beach. At this point we decided to bust out our lunch. We had what Annika called a “movie moment” as Free Fallin’ by John Myer played, and we ate our PB&J’s while taking in the Puerto Rican shore line from the car window. After another long car ride, full of conversations about what we were going to name our future children, we arrived at the beach and without hesitation sat our things down and hit the water. Some of us had to go to the bathroom before hand and let me tell you that was a cross cultural experience in itself, Just ask Sarah.
The beach itself was a dream! We arrived around noon and stayed till 5, yet every minute was full of great adventures. We snorkeled, laid out on the sand, drank fresh coconut juice, held exotic birds, and some of us even got to jump off the end of the pier. We had sand everywhere, and the salty ocean coated our hair, but honestly I wouldn’t have traded that feeling for the world. It was all and all the most prefect day filled with beautiful memories (or mems as Kaley would put it).
I am experiencing God not only through the hard work being done here but also through the beautiful people I am sharing this trip with. At the end of the day when we circled up for devotions I looked around the room and just smiled. This trip didn’t just give me new friends or another face to know around campus. This trip gave me sisters with whom we now have shared a piece of my heart with, and are so thankful to know.
All my love to the Michiganders back home,
Abbie

PS. Mom and Dad if you are reading this: Hi, I love you!
The "twins", Leah & Abbie at the playa!

The group at the Indian Cave...it was breathtaking! 

Camille climbing the ladder into the cave. 

2 comments:

  1. You girls are having so much fun and you're all such descriptive writers I love it! Abbie, thanks for painting a beautiful picture of the day! I loved your line: "The waves would spray us with a sweet salty mist that tightened our skin as it dried." I TOTALLY get that.

    Isn't God amazing and creative? You see His majesty in creation, but then you get to look in to one another's faces and realize just how spectacular He is. What a blessing to have found more than a friendship with your group, but a sisterhood.

    To those Youngs sisters: don't forget to take time for sisterly chats:) You ladies are incredible!

    P.S. I'm sure you'd all love to know that the snow is totally melted and the worms were out this morning! #springishere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sweet Camille!! I'm reminded, as I look at the picture of you climbing the ladder, of you, your dad, the ladder and the very tall Chtistmas tree! You've come a long way Chica!!

    You all look great and it's evident in the photos that God has truly blessed you on this journey!! I'm still praying for you!!!❤️

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! Please continue to pray for us. God Bless!