Thursday, March 14, 2013

Exploring the Island

Today has been another awesome day in beautiful island of Puerto Rico.  We have been working hard both here at camp and in the barrio all week, but today we left behind our saws and paint brushes for a fun day off.  Do not let “day off” make you think that today was anything less than day packed full of more exciting adventures around the island.  We started our day off bright and early and headed off to snorkel in the ocean.  (this is why we didn’t get our afternoon blog in-sorry!) It was a crazy experience that I will never forget.  I was a little nervous to swim with all of the fish and other sea life, but I am so glad that I decided to give snorkeling a try.  I loved gaining a whole new perspective by swimming through the ocean over coral reefs and along side the fish. It was also super neat to see and touch a few sea creatures such as starfish, conch, and sea urchins.
Next we ventured over to the window cave.  To get to the window cave, you must first trek through a couple of bat filled caves, before you reach a huge opening in the side of the cave which over looks a drop off with a beautiful scene over a river.  The climb down into the cave was well worth the view!

Our last stop was to the lava rocks.  These are huge rock formations right on the edge of the beach.  Giant waves crash up against the lava rocks with a spray of water and mist landing across the rocks.  The size of the enormous waves was extraordinary to see.  I felt dwarfed with the towering waves splashing up in front of me. As I paused to take in the view, I felt so grateful to have the opportunity to do so many different things today that I never thought I would have the chance to do or see.


At all of the different spots we stopped at today, I could not help but marvel at the beauty of God’s creation!  Although our group came to Puerto Rico to serve, I feel that I have been truly blessed- not just by the beautiful sights, but also the people we have met and the new things that I have learned.  I had a blast today on all of our adventures and I am thankful for a chance to rest from out work, but I am excited to return to work tomorrow and hopeful finish up a few jobs around camp.  It has been a great week so far and I cannot wait to see what our last few days will hold.




Blessings from Puerto Rico!
Katelyn



P.S. Nathan wrestled an ocean swimming iguana. Nathan won.



 P.S. Thanks for your patience with our posts today! It was a looooooooong, but refreshing day. Thanks for following us and praying for us! The van made it today thanks to your prayers!!!

3 comments:

  1. So good to hear from you and to see all the awesome pictures! Sounds like you are all growing in relationship with God and one another. Continuing to pray for you as you complete your missions adventure. Jer. 33:3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have really enjoyed reading about all that your team is doing in Puerto Rico this week! It sounds like it has been an incredible time of serving and fellowship. The pictures you've posted are amazing! Please bring some of the warm temperatures back with you!!

    Continuing to pray for you all,

    Sara

    P.S. Shout-out to Adri!! So jealous that you're wearing shorts in every picture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures today were amazing especially the ones in the cave and the fantastic view from them. With these pics you are bringing us along with you. (Wish I was really there)!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! Please continue to pray for us. God Bless!