Yesterday, in Puerto Rico, was a totally awesome day! To start the day, Julio gave a devotional about “spiritual blind dates.” He challenged us to be ready for a conversation in someones life that may be the difference in them knowing Christ. It was the start of a day full of challenges all consisting of listening to God’s prompting.
In the morning, Katie and I were staining in the Capilla (chapel) together and we were able to have some heartfelt conversations about our lives, where we felt God leading us, what our passions were, but also asked challenging questions about our relationship with God. Katie challenged me to look beyond what I have planned for my life and to always remember to let God lead me. This was the second time that God issued the challenge.
After a afternoon of working with Papa Shaw, Katelyn, Adri, and Whitney on the table making process, Carrie took a small amount of time to talk about me and my relationship with God. (kind of like having a one on one with a camper.) It was a good summon again from God to listen to his prompting. Aside from the prompt to listen, I really appreciated the time that Carrie took to invest in me and ask the difficult questions that I sometimes forget to listen to.
That evening, we went to the local AWANA program. I was super excited to attend because I was in AWANA growing up and have a connection to the program. We, the Spring Arbor Students, were able to interact with the kids during the games and a few of us in the council time (devotional time). I was prepared to use my Spanish number skills when the leaders of our team were told to number off the people - but, to my chagrin, when Javiair got to me, instead of saying ‘ocho’ he said ‘eight.’ It turned out to be a blessing that Javiair knew English because of my lack of Spanish (all the directions for the games were spoken in Spanish). I was able to decipher most of the rules with Javiair’s occasional assistance. I enjoyed shouting “Verde” at the top of my lungs with 8 Puerto Rican kids. At the end of AWANA, I rode in the van to drop kids off. After asking my teammates what some Spanish words were (I kept getting my Spanish language confused with my French), I was able to have a minimal conversation with the kids that sat in my row, discovering 3 of their names were: Catalina, Christian, and Adrian. Catalina shared some of her jellybeans with me. I asked them what some words were in Spanish: the one I remember the most is watermelon, “agua de melon.” It broke my heart that I couldn’t ask them more about themselves, their lives, and what they think about Jesus. I desired to share with them how much Jesus loved them. I trust though that God will show them through someone who knows much more Spanish than I do.
After dinner, we went into Ponce for an adventure, some souvenir shopping (I didn’t buy anything ridiculous Mom), and some authentic Puerto Rican ice cream. I had Talmindro or something like that. I’m not sure of the American equivalent, but it was sure delicious. Because of the van problems we had on the way there, Jon came with the other van to charge the battery of the van that would take us home. But I rode with Carrie, Charles, and Nate with Theresa in the old van. It made my night when at a stoplight, the 5 of us bounded out of the van and held a Chinese fire drill (2 times around!) in front of our other van, filled with our teammates. Can’t wait to hold one of my own (Paul, next time we are in the car together - it’s happening!)
This is a work trip so: here’s a summary of the work that we have done so far: laid the cement in the Bario for the fence; stained nearly three quarters of the Capilla; made numerous tables, many from scratch; and did some electrical working (Landon’s skills). I am quite excited to finish the Capilla tomorrow, finish the fence in the Bario, and minister to Jon Marshall, his family, and Camp Caribe (along with whoever God brings into my path) in whatever capacity needed.
Thank you for all of your love and prayers. I miss you all dearly and I cannot what to share more when I return!
Love, Lydia :)
(I'm the one in the purple) :)
Finally an update on your last couple of days! Thank you for the wonderful posts! Truly God is opening up some new doors and windows into His beautiful world for you to see and experience.
ReplyDeleteI am praying for safety and a certain arrival to the airport for you! God bless you all as you finish up your work.
Mama Shaw
Having been on several short mission trips like the one you all are on, it is like dejavous....the beauty of the place you are in, the love of the people, the bonding of the team, the fun of working and playing together, growing in the Lord.....I have the card you gave me, Nathan, with all your pictures on it, so I can see who is who when I'm reading about you all. I am thanking the Lord for blessing you all with this wonderful experience and thank you for letting me share in it with you through this wonderful blog.
ReplyDelete