Saturday, March 10, 2012

Fun in the Sun

It's our first official day here at Campamento Del Caribe! After a really short night's sleep, we all woke up to the sunshine, sound of waves crashing on the shore, and a gorgeous view here at the camp. Due to a lack of sleep, we decided to take it easy for the day so that we could all fully re-cooperate. After a great lunch, we got the low-down from Jon Marshall and our first team projects! We started off by relocating some lumber and other materials from the water slide here at the camp to the workshop and then headed into the ocean to find four lost anchors. We all formed a large line and began swimming back and forth searching. It was quite the adventure feeling around the ocean floor with our feet looking for anything that didn't feel like sand.
After three of the four anchors had been found (yes, we are sad to say that one of the anchors proved to be too elusive even for us) we spent some time together as a team chilling on the beach and riding down the water slide. A special thanks to the Grand Valley State team: they were so sweet and left shampoo and sun tan lotion behind for us because all of ours was in our missing luggage! It was so nice to be able to shower!
Following our showers, thirteen of us piled into a mini van and drove into Juana Diaz to try some of these frappes that we have been hearing so much about. Needless to say, we were not disappointed. They were absolutely delicious! Also, our luggage finally came tonight! We were so excited!All in all, today was a really fantastic day. We were able to spend some great time together bonding as a team and getting some much needed rest. Thank you all for your continued prayers! We so appreciate you all! - Cassandra

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your blog posts to keep us up-to-date on what's happening! Keep shining for Jesus. When I read my devotions this morning and read about shining for Jesus even when things are not going as we would like them to go in our lives, I thought of each of you and the unplanned start to your Mission trip. Continue to "Live as children of light" (Eph 5:8b), and watch God take care of the rest! Praying for you all spiritually, physically and emotionally as you continue your week! Donna Bentle

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're so glad you made it safely...finally!! :) Thank the Lord!! Now, keep those positive attitudes as you work this coming week. May the Lord bless you and this camp through all your endeavors this week. And thanks to those of you who sang Happy Birthday to me (Nikki's mom)today. :)

    The Hildenbrand's

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you guys are getting rested and acclimated. May the Lord continue to bless you in your work at the camp!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cassandra, excellent writing skills! Sounds like your trip is going well so far :). I hope you get this comment, because I wanted to let you know about my time in Florida...

    The sun is shining, and it's really warm (probably similar to Puerto Rico). I called out to the waves, but they didn't respond. I wanted to know if they had come crashing down and embraced the sand, or held back in low tide. No response. In fear of angering the waves, I decided against calling out to them again. I just hope the waves made the RIGHT choice and embraced the sand ;).

    Hopefully you understand...;)

    I love you and miss you! I hope the rest of your time in PR is productive and exciting...PLEASE be safe. I can't wait to hear all of the details when you return :)

    Love,

    Kennedy xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! Please continue to pray for us. God Bless!